|World Wide Ministries Committee
Membership and Duties: from the
(Rev. August 2012)
4.4.9. World Wide Ministries
Chairperson and nine members. Including persons interested
in fostering a devotion to mission activity near and far among the Presbytery’s
congregations and mission communities. That includes developing close-to-home
short-term missions, sharing ways to tell and show the Good News of Christ
in host communities, encouraging focused short-term mission at international
sites, growing the Partnership with the Illubabor Bethel Synod in Ethiopia,
developing and maintaining support for denominational mission co-workers,
and ecumenical and advocacy relationships.
Foster an understanding among congregations and mission
communities that mission—taking action beyond church walls to show Christ’s
love--occurs in churches’ close-in neighborhoods, nearby communities, throughout
the Presbytery territory, wherever national disaster and human need call
for our sacrificial help, and in the world beyond where we can tell about
and demonstrate God’s love through Christ.
A. Encourage each congregation prayerfully
to seek, find and share God’s calling in mission close to home.
1. Using Presbytery forums, workshops, the website, and
electronic messages to disseminate information about successful short-term
2. Training teams in best practices for short-term mission
in workshops and other venues.
3. Monitoring and advertising needs within the Presbytery
and beyond that can be addressed by short-term missions.
4. Advising mission communities on how to develop cooperative
projects involving diverse congregations and groups.
B. Nurture the Partnership with the Illubabor
Bethel Synod in Ethiopia including:
1. Preparing prayer requests for regular prayer for our
2. Planning visits and interactions with the partners.
3. Serving as a link to missionaries from Shenandoah Presbytery
4. Providing information and publicity about the Partnership,
utilizing the Partnership web site and Presbytery communication tools.
5. Making budget requests to support these efforts and
monitoring the expenditures.
6. Planning regular celebrations of the Partnership.
C. Promote the cause of global missions
in the mission communities and congregations throughout Presbytery. This
l. Encouraging prayer for mission work throughout the world.
2. Being a resource for materials and programs.
3. Setting criteria for the use of designated funds such
as the Ramsey Fund and the Bernice Hiett Fund, to assist short-term international
mission trips and other “foreign missions” activities by congregations, the
Partnership Committee, and Shenandoah Presbytery.
4. Monitoring follow-up reports on mission endeavors.
5. Maintaining a list of Shenandoah Presbytery missionaries
for prayer and serving as a resource for guest speakers for mission events.
D. Serve as the conscience of Presbytery
in encouraging advocacy efforts on behalf of justice and compassion.
E. Promote ecumenical ministries and relations where participation
as a Presbytery is called for.
F. Provide information about ecumenical partners utilizing
Presbytery communication tools